Manitoba Association for Medical Laboratory Science Educational Fund Requests Guidelines
Margaret Fleming established the Hilda Fleming Fund in 1980 to honour her sister Hilda Fleming (1903-1978).
Hilda Fleming started her laboratory career at Winnipeg Children’s Hospital in 1925. During the late 1920s Hilda was employed at New York’s Flushing Hospital Laboratory. In 1939 Hilda returned to Winnipeg where she was employed at Trainor Laboratories until her retirement in 1968. Hilda was an active technologist throughout her career and was a founding member of the Manitoba Branch of the CSLT.
The Hilda Fleming Fund was created to assist graduate medical laboratory technologists. Awards are available for any continuing education that advances knowledge or skills of the medical laboratory profession.
Terms of Reference
- Applicant must be a practicing registered medical laboratory technologist for the past two years
- Applicant must submit proof of registration with CSMLS and MAMLS for the past two years. (income tax receipt)
- Applications made to the MAMLS Professional Development Director will be accepted prior to January 15, March 15, June 15, and September 15 of each calendar year
- Applicants must provide information about the continuing education activity and describe relevance to the profession
- Applicants must submit a brief description of professional activities and goals that demonstrate a commitment to the profession
- Applicants who have received awards from the fund within the past two years will be considered only when no other applications have been received
- Funds available at the time of selection will be divided among the applicants based on point scores. Minimum award $100.00. Maximum award $750.00. Award will not exceed applicant’s expenses.
- An awards selection committee will review all applications and determine successful recipients based on points scored on predefined criteria listed below:
- Funds from other sources
- Commitment to profession. Some examples are:
- CSMLS continuing education (courses, congresses)
- MAMLS continuing education (workshops, symposiums, congresses)
- Workplace continuing education
- Academy volunteer
- MAMLS volunteer
- MAMLS liaison
- MAMLS Board of Directors
- CSMLS Board of Directors
- Workplace Committees
- Community Volunteer Activities
- Names of selected applicants shall be forwarded to the MAMLS Board of Directors for approval
- The decision of the MAMLS Board of Directors is final
Download the Application Form here.